Couples Therapy Couples therapy can be helpful to partners struggling
with any aspect of their relationship.
Our clinicians welcome all types of couples —
married, dating, or engaged heterosexual or same-sex —
and at any stage of their relationships.
Lindsey Hoskins & Associates
4 Responses To Divorce Papers

Divorce Lawyer

While no one enters a marriage thinking that it will end in divorce, sometimes that is the best option for the couple. If you or a loved one is considering a divorce, reach out to a divorce lawyer clients trust to help serve their needs through a divorce. Although a divorce process may become complicated, and filled with discourse the following four responses should be carefully thought through and discussed with your divorce lawyer.

After being served divorce papers, consider not responding. While this may seem like a strange course of action, or rather inaction your divorce lawyer may advise this. If you decide not to participate in the divorce, it is your choice to choose to ignore the divorce papers. By not responding, you are choosing to default on the divorce. A reason to default may include agreeing to all the terms in your spouse’s divorce papers, and not wishing to continue with any action. Again, this situation should be discussed with your divorce lawyer, and meticulously thought through.

Upon discussing the details and division of assets with your spouse, you may choose to default on the agreement. With the assistance of a notary, you and your spouse may come to an agreement on your own and they can witness your signatures and mutual decisions. However, if you wish to default on the agreement, it would be wise to consult a divorce lawyer beforehand to ensure you are not settling, or not getting your proper share in the agreement.

Filing a response in agreement is a third response to being met with divorce papers. Much like defaulting in the agreement, filing a response requires a notary and mutual consensus on the division of assets, alimony, child custody, etc. However, filing is different because it requires stating your agreement in court, legally agreeing to the terms laid out. Filing a response in the agreement is considered an uncontested divorce because you and your spouse have predetermined the division of everything, and have shared a consensus on it.

The fourth response to intent of divorce is filing a response in disagreement. If you and your spouse do not agree to the terms of the divorce, namely the division of assets, child custody, alimony, etc., It would be advantageous to hire representation according to our friends at Kempen & Company — choose someone client’s trust to defend their rights and go after what they deserve. It does not matter if you and your spouse disagree on a few of the terms of the divorce or everything, the judge will still need to decide if you file a response in disagreement. A responsible divorce lawyer will mediate between you and your spouse before going to court to try to amicably divide the assets and come to a mutual consensus. If you are needing representation for an upcoming divorce or wise counsel on the best response to divorce papers, reach out to a divorce lawyer today. Their experience will provide you with insight into your specific situation, allowing you to make the best decision for yourself and your future.