Premarital Counseling Sterling VA
If you are about to get married, you may want to consider the premarital counseling Sterling VA couples depend on. It may help prepare you and your future spouse for marriage and ensure that you maintain a strong and healthy relationship. Premarital counseling may also help you identify the weaknesses in your relationship and address them before they turn into big problems. At Lindsey Hoskins & Associates, we know that premarital counseling can be incredibly beneficial for couples who are beginning a new life together.
The Goals of Premarital Counseling
Getting married is a big step, so it’s important to make sure you are completely ready. Sterling premarital counseling aims to improve your relationship with your future spouse before you get married. During counseling sessions, you may discuss a wide range of topics, such as finances, family, intimacy, anger issues, and communication.
Premarital counseling Sterling VA trusts may help prepare you for the conflicts you may deal with in your marriage and how to resolve them. A skilled therapist may help you and your future spouse improve your communication skills and conflict-resolution skills. By discussing your expectations and differing opinions with your future spouse in a nonjudgmental environment, you can go into your marriage with a better understanding of one another.
What to Expect from Premarital Counseling
The idea of premarital counseling in Sterling VA may be intimidating to some couples, but there is nothing to be afraid of. If you have premarital counseling sessions with a licensed and skilled therapist, you may address your relationship issues early on and go into your marriage with a healthy start.
In your first counseling sessions, your therapist may ask you and your partner to separately answer a questionnaire to identify the strengths and weaknesses in your relationship. Your therapist could help you begin to discuss areas where you disagree, and guide you through overcoming your challenges.
During premarital counseling Sterling VA respects, do not be afraid to be completely open and honest. Your therapist is there to help you, not judge you. The more open you and your partner are, the better your therapist may help you build a strong and lasting relationship.
How to Make the Most Out of Your Premarital Counseling Sessions
In order for you to receive the needed benefits from premarital counseling Sterling VA residents trust, it’s important for you to make a true effort during the therapy sessions. Here are few tips for getting the most out of your counseling sessions:
- Keep Your Sessions Private: Whatever you discuss during premarital counseling in Sterling VA you should keep between you and your partner. If you tell your friends or family members about anything that was discussed during your counseling sessions, it might break your partner’s trust.
- Recognize that Counseling May Be Challenging Sometimes: Even if you and your partner have a solid relationship, premarital counseling Sterling VA clients respect may not always be easy. One of you may say something that the other does not like or the two of you may argue about certain issues. The important thing is that you listen to one another’s concerns and resolve your issues together.
- Express Thankfulness to Your Partner: It is a good idea to let your partner know that you appreciate him or her attending premarital counseling Sterling VA residents count on with you. If your significant other knows that you are grateful, he or she may be more willing to continue these counseling sessions.
Acknowledge a Problem Exists: Some couples have difficulty admitting that certain problems exist within their relationship. This is a big mistake. If you know that there is an issue in your relationship but are not willing to admit it, there will be no point to premarital counseling. The sooner you admit to a problem, the sooner you can resolve it.
- Be Patient: The amount of time Sterling premarital counseling takes may depend on several different factors, such as how many unresolved issues the two of you have and your willingness to compromise. If counseling seems to be taking longer than originally expected, remember what you are there for and keep your eye on the prize. Too many couples give on premarital counseling Sterling VA offers if things get tough and they do not get immediate gratification. If you continue with the counseling, you may be more likely to resolve your issues.
- Be Willing to Change Your Ways: The two of you should be willing to make changes to your behavior if it benefits the relationship. For example, if your partners tell you in the counseling sessions that you are too argumentative, you may want to work on that. By doing this, you show your partner that you care about his or her happiness and are willing to make the necessary changes to improve your relationship.
Have Realistic Expectations: It’s important to go into premarital counseling Sterling VA resident rely on with realistic expectations. Don’t expect the counselor to fix your relationships in one to two sessions. She can only provide you with the tools you need to make things right. It’s up to you and your partner to improve your relationship.
Finding a Therapist
Before you begin premarital counseling Sterling VA relies on, you must first find a licensed and reputable marriage and family therapist. If your family members or friends have gone through premarital counseling, you can ask them to recommend a therapist. You may also ask your family doctor or health insurer for recommendations.
Before you schedule an appointment with a therapist, it is important to ask certain questions over the phone to determine if he or she is a good fit for you and your significant other. For example, you may want to ask a therapist where he or she received his or her education and his or her experience with premarital counseling.
You may also want to find out how many sessions you should expect to have and how much a therapist charges for each session.
Working with a premarital counsel may help you and your partner get your marriage started off on the right foot. If you are interested in premarital counseling Sterling VA offers, contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates at 703-951-6409.